A doula is someone, generally a woman, who assist an expecting mother and her family through pregnancy, childbirth, and postpartum healing. While a doula will not provide medical care (checking blood pressure, examining the uterus...etc) she can be a great resource when it comes to understanding medical terminology, herbal remedies, relaxation techniques, birthing options, childbirth education and more depending on her specific training. The doulas of Ubuntu have been trained by Iya Omi through the Ubuntu Wellness Academy (formally known as the Ubuntu Birth Workers Collective). Iya knows that pregnancy and childbirth is not just a physical act. The whole woman (mental, physical, emotional, and spiritual) becomes deeply involved and connected to the process. She also knows, that as a doula, her job is to assist the expecting mother, partner, and family through the process. Working with an Ubuntu doula means that you have a collective working with you to support you through this rites of passage. Doulas provide great benefits.
What does it mean to have The Occult Mama as your Doula?
The Occult Mama believes that pregnancy and childbirth one of the most power times in a woman's life. There is no doubt that it is a rites-of-passage as you flow from one face of the moon to the next. You are not only re-birthing an ancestor, you are re-birthing yourself. As an expecting mother, you are on a journey of self discovery and self healing. You are asking the life questions of "Who am I" and Who is this being I carry in my belly. The Occult Mama helps you to walk through that journey of self discovery by creating a safe space of healing and expression. She infuses a variety off different forms of nature based care that will compliment any birthing option the parents may choose.
To schedule a consultation, call Iya Omi @ 240.750.6890 or email firstname.lastname@example.org You can also check out our web page describing our doula care packages
BENEFITS OF HAVING A DOULA
During pregnancy and childbirth expecting mothers and partners can go through varying emotions and experiences. The journey can be wonderfully stressful at time. Having a doula can help to relieve some of the stress by providing assistance, information, support and alternative healing services.
1. Doulas can be a great resource for information. Some doulas have a reading library, outside resources. The job of the doula is to provide unbiased information (to the best of her ability) to the mother and her partner thereby empowering them and
2. Doulas can provide a wide range of services to compliment your needs during pregnancy. Some are herbalist, massage therapist, meditation coaches, womb healers, or yoga instructors.
3. Doulas can help through the birthing process by educating and guiding you through a variety of positions to help support labor and positions that help mommy through the actual birth.
4. Doulas help to reduce stress during the birthing process which can also help to reduce the need for outside birthing assistance like forceps and c-sections. She helps to reduce stress through using relaxations techniques such as massage, meditation, reflexology, music and/or aromatherapy.
5. Doulas also help to coach the support team by helping them to become involved through the birthing process through helping to support in movement, relaxation, setting the atmosphere in the room, and providing relaxing words of encouragement.
6. We can never predict how a birth will evolve so Doulas are a great emotional support should a mother find herself in need of outside medications. They can support and nurture the possible side effects. Support can also be given with the medications are inadequate.
7. Doulas act as an advocate for the expecting mother. She provide encouragement to help her meet her specific goals. She can even assist the mother with the communication process with her caregiver to make sure that both caregiver and expected parents are on the same page and in a open and understanding relationship. 8. Doulas also help to support mommy after the birth. She helps to get mommy settled in through helping to make sure she is physically, mentally, spiritually, and emotionally comfortable. She also helps to make sure that mommy is comfortable with the bonding process and feeding her newborn.